Thursday, February 21, 2008

Lighting Matters

I hate the overhead light glaring in my eyes when I lay down in bed. I don’t know what babies think about it exactly, but I do think it is important to have some more ambient lighting in the room for when a baby is playing, or resting.

So many lamps for nurseries are over the top. I do like the one that goes with the bedding set I listed in my last post from Dreamtime Baby

But unless you find the perfect thing, I say just go with a simple lamp you like. You can always spruce it up to match your décor if you want. I like to take a sheet of primed canvas – you can buy a pad of this from almost any craft store. It is forgiving and flexible and will not yellow or turn brittle under the heat of a bulb. Then cut out a cute pattern you like and simply adhere it to the inside of your lampshade. You can do your child’s name or a pattern that matches the nursery using this technique. Here is a simple owl design I made. For detailed directions and the owl template click here.

No comments: